Tuesday 27 August 2013

British Telecom ~ what a Fiasco!

Please help me with this BT fiasco!  

Here I am on my weekly internet update using my friend Carol's connection - thank God for friends.

This post concerns, again, BT's terrible "customer service" by which I do not mean that of the 17 sympathetic and helpful (as far as they do anything) individuals who I've spoken to trying to get this sorted out, I mean the supervisors, managers etc who are supposed to actually get the work done.

Please Help!

Does anyone know of any good places to rant, complain, campaign etc to get the ??? out in the open.  If you do please let me know in a comment or on Facebook Link, Twitter Link etc.  It will of course take me a while to see your ideas due to the problem but all ideas would be welcome.  

Just to let you know we still have no phone or internet even though it is now over a month after the line was disconnected and the work not done.  My two or three previous posts will give more detail.

Having received no reply from Warren Buckley or his office to my letter sent on 12th August I am now re-sending it with the following Addenda giving an update on what has (or mostly hasn't) happened since then.

"

~ Addenda to previously sent letter which is attached ~
19th August

A guy called to say BT would be putting traffic lights up outside our house on 22nd August although he couldn't say when the work would actually be done. Naively and hopefully I thought that if traffic lights are put up on a Thursday the work might be completed by the weekend, especially if that weekend is to be a Bank Holiday.

22nd August

We kept looking to see if the traffic lights were there and when none had appeared by about 5.30 pm I rang 0800 800 150 and bugger me if I didn't get through within minutes to a sensible girl in England!!!  She was very helpful indeed and got in touch with the engineers who told her that the lights were scheduled to be assembled at 7.00 pm.  They also said that the distribution box was full and so they needed to split the line or something before completing the work.  Bearing in mind that all we are asking for is an extension of our existing line 20 yards down the garden and in fact first asked for this a couple of months ago I was (and am) surprised this hadn't been done by now..

I said to the lady on the phone how very helpful she had been and she said that to tell the truth this had been a learning curve for her too, she was surprised about the traffic lights, the line being disconnected, the delay in getting on with the work and the lack of communication herself.

At 7.00 there was a Traffic Lights van outside and bollards had been placed for some way along the road. 

We had dinner, looked out again, all gone!!!

23rd August

BT called on my mobile to say that they needed to do some work at the exchange first and would update us by 8.00 pm that day.  They didn't.  I tried called the number given on the mobile and got a recorded message which said ...

"We tried to call you but there was no answer ... you have not been charged for this call."

... which is utter rubbish as they had called me and spoken to me and I was just trying to speak to them again!  The number in this case was 0888 0285085.


24th August

I called 0800 800 150 and spoke to guy in India who, again, was sympathetic and helpful.  He said he could see the matter was in the hands of a facilitator (he said this was to speed things up!) but couldn't say who this was.  He said he would put a note on the file saying how disgusted I am not only at having no phone or internet for so very long but at the total lack of courtesy in BT's way of dealing with the matter.  He said

"Having heard your story, believe me, it won't be a polite note!

He also said that as it is now a bank holiday he would try to ensure that someone calls me by 8.00 pm on Tuesday 27th August but that he would not lie to me, this did not mean the work would be done then!

27th August

Having received no reply from Warren Buckley or his office to my letter (above) sent on 12th August I am now re-sending it with this addenda to update you/him/them on what has (or rather mostly hasn't) happened since last I wrote.

So that's 17 people now, another un-returned call, a phone number which it is unable to contact and now more than a month since the work was due to be completed.  It is also 15 days since I wrote to you but no reply - perhaps this lack of communication is company policy!  
"
Any Thoughts? 

If you can think of any way of going public and letting people know how bad this "service" is (and as BT is huge and almost a monopoly I realise it is difficult to fight or even do without it) please either let me know, or them!!

I thank you,

PS.  BT have just called me to say that they couldn't do the work on Friday "as there was a car parked in t he way" which is, of course, utter rubbish and probably a lie!  Firstly because why did they take down the traffic lights on Thursday evening if they had intended to do the work Friday and, secondly, surely "engineers" have the brains to knock on our door to see if we own or know who owns the car so that it can be moved.

I am incandescent.